Richmond is Virginia’s quirky, vibrant, and historic capitol. The city boasts dozens of museums, arguably one of the finest selections of tattoo artists in the country, and an endless number of restaurants to choose from. It is easy to see why RVA was ranked #24 this year on U.S. News & World Report’s list of “Best Places to Live in the USA.”
Richmond might be most renowned, however, for the impressive array of festivals it hosts every year. Here are only a few of the best ones you should experience:
- Richmond Folk Festival– This festival draws out around 200,000 people every year to attend concerts in genres ranging anywhere from bluegrass to gospel to Indian classical music. Festival goers can share in powerful cultural and storytelling experiences through food and art demonstrations.
- Carytown Watermelon Festival– Every summer, Richmond welcomes this street festival and the thousands of families who will come out to listen to live music, soak in the sun, and fill themselves up on watermelon dishes. At each festival, watermelon purchases create proceeds that go directly to Shriners Hospital for Children.
- Richmond Tattoo & Arts Festival– Tattooers, fine artists, and vendors gather here at the U.S.’s oldest tattoo convention. On top of all the gorgeous ink masterpieces, the expo hosts a beard competition, a Miss RVA Pin-up pageant, and a worst tattoo contest.
- Beer, Bourbon, & BBQ Festival– Admission to this event grants patrons access to live music and unlimited samples of bourbon and barbecue foods of every variety.
- Dominion Energy Riverrock– Music and outdoor sports enthusiasts come together to experience performances from talented musicians and professional athletes alike. Activities include film screenings, mud fun runs, kayaking, BMX, and dog dock-jumping competitions.
Richmond, its traditions, music, art, and food creates a truly unique atmosphere. If you are thinking of visiting RVA sometime soon, consider making a hotel reservation on RoomShare, to kick off your experience.
Looking for an affordable accommodation and new people to meet? Creating a profile on RoomShare allows you to explore same-gender, shared hotel rooms with travelers who share your interests and budget.
If you need to make a last-minute reservation or are desperately looking for a room in a city where every hotel seems to be completely booked, RoomShare provides bookings from people that cannot use them. On RoomShare you can also sell reservations for accommodations that you no longer need, for a portion of what you spent on them.
Richmond is a must see, but planning can be stressful. Let RoomShare help make your trip worthwhile and go see all that Richmond can offer!