INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM USERS
- Information shared directly by users
We receive, store and process information, including Personal Information, that you make available to us when accessing or using our Platform and Services. Examples include when you:
- Fill in any form on the Platform, such as when you register or update the details of your user account
- Access or use the Platform, such as to search for or post room listings, make or accept bookings, pay for room bookings, post comments or reviews, or communicate with other users
- Link your account on a Third-Party site (e.g. Facebook) to your RoomShare Account, in which case we will obtain the Personal Information that you have provided to the Third-Party site, to the extent allowed by your settings with the Third-Party site and authorized by you
- Communicate with RoomShare
- Share information with another Members
- Information obtained from your use of our platform
We also receive, store and process information, possibly including Personal Information, when you access or use our Platform and Services, including but not limited to:
When you use certain features of the Platform, in particular our mobile applications we may receive, store and process different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g. IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g. GPS-based functionality on mobile devices used to access the Platform or specific features of the platform). If you access the Platform through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details.
We may also receive, store and process Log Data, which is information that is automatically recorded by our servers whenever you access or use the Platform, regardless of whether you are registered with RoomShare or logged in to your RoomShare Account, such as your IP Address, the date and time you access or use the Platform, the hardware and software you are using, referring and exit pages and URLs, the number of clicks, device event information, pages viewed and the order of those pages, and the amount of time spent on particular pages.
Cookies and other Tracking Technologies
While you may disable the usage of cookies through your browser settings, we do not change our practices in response to a “Do Not Track” signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application. We track your activities if you click on advertisements for RoomShare services on Third-Party platforms such as search engines and social networks, and may use analytics to track what you do in response to those advertisements.
Third-Party social plugins
Our Platform may use social plugins which are provided and operated by Third-Parties, such as Facebook’s Like Button.
As a result of this, you may send to the Third-Party the information that you are viewing on a certain part of our Platform. If you are not logged into your account with the Third-Party, then the Third Party may not know your identity. If you are logged into your account with the Third Party, then the Third Party may be able to link information about your visit to our Platform to your account with them. Similarly, your interactions with the social plugin may be recorded by the Third Party.
HOW DO WE USE AND PROCESS THE INFORMATION COLLECTED
We use, store and process information about you for the following purposes:
- To enable you to access and use the Platform
- To enable you to communicate with other Members, including but not limited to by sending them messages or other information during the Booking process
- To operate, protect, improve and optimize the Platform, RoomShare’s business, and our users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research, personalize or otherwise customize your experience, and to provide customer service
- To help create and maintain a trusted and safer environment on the Platform and Services, such as detection and prevention of actual and potential fraud and other harmful activity, conducting investigations and risk assessments, enforcing our Terms and policies, verifying the address of your listings and conducting checks against databases and information sources (such as but not limited to public government databases) for fraud detection and prevention, risk assessment and harm prevention purposes. In this regard, we may do any or all of the foregoing with or without further notifying you
- To send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you
- To send you marketing, advertising, and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information about RoomShare, our services, or general promotions for partner campaigns and services. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving these communications in your settings (in the “Account” section) when you login to your RoomShare Account
- To administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by RoomShare or our Third Party business partners
- To comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with Third Parties
How do we use and process user communications?
We may, either directly or through Third-Parties we engage to provide services to us review, scan, or analyze your communications with other users exchanged via the Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, the Platform may scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. This helps to prevent fraudulent hosts from asking Guests to send them money outside of the Platform, such as by bank transfer or other money transfer methods. We may also scan, review or analyze messages for research and product development purposes to help make search, booking and user communications more efficient and effective, as well as to debug, improve and expand product offerings. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications for sending Third-Party marketing messages to you. We will also not sell these reviews or analyses of communications to Third Parties. We will also use automated methods to carry out these reviews or analysis where reasonably possible. However, from time to time we may have to manually review some communications. By using the Platform, you consent that RoomShare, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through Third-Parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
- When you submit a request to book a room listing, your full name and other Personal Information you agree to pass through to the Host(s) will become visible to the Host(s) of any Listing you Book or request to Book. We may also disclose parts of your public profile like member reviews and any additional information you share with other Members. We will also share a guest’s mobile number and email address after a confirmed booking has been done.
- When your request to book a room is accepted by the Host(s) or when a Guest books your room listing, we will disclose some of your Personal Information to the Host(s) and any confirmed Guest(s). However, your billing and payout information will never be shared with another user.
- When a Guest shares a room with you as a host, we will ask both of you to review each other and the overall staying experience. If you choose to provide a review, your review may be public on the Platform. Likewise, another Member’s review of you as a Guest or Host may be public on the Platform.
- You may link your account on a Third-Party social networking site to your RoomShare Account. When you create this linkage:
- Some of the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be published on your RoomShare Account profile
- A link to your public profile on that Third-Party social networking site may be included in your RoomShare public profile
- The information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes
- The publication and display of information that you provide to RoomShare through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Platform and the Third-Party site
- We may share information, including personal and financial information, with third parties that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, processing payment, providing customer service and marketing assistance, legal assistance, performing business and sales analysis, ad tracking and analytics, member screenings, supporting our Service functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through our Service. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
We will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify users about law enforcement requests for their data unless:
- Providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law
- We believe that providing notice would (a) be futile, (b) be ineffective, or (c) would create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or (d) create or increase a risk of fraud upon RoomShare’s property, its Members, the Platform, Application, or Services (collectively, “Risk Scenarios”).
In instances where RoomShare complies with legal requests for user data without notice to the user for the reasons described above, RoomShare will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify that user about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no Risk Scenarios apply.
We may also publish, disclose and use Aggregated Information and non-personal information for industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
ROOMSHARE ACCOUNT INFORMATION
You may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in your RoomShare Account. If you would like to correct your information or cancel your RoomShare Account entirely, you can do so by logging in to your RoomShare Account. Please also note that any reviews and similar materials posted by you may continue to be publicly available on the Platform in association with your first name, even after your RoomShare Account is canceled.
PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURITY
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your Personal Information against unauthorized access, destruction or alteration. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no method of storing electronic information, can be 100% secure. So, we cannot guarantee the security of your transmissions to us and of your Personal Information that we store.